Vessel Protection Detachment - Global Support
Piracy activities in waters of the Gulf of Aden, the Somali Basin and the Indian Ocean Basin have hugely increased during the last years.
Several Countries, based on the instructions and guidelines provided by the International Maritime Organization (I.M.O.), the Maritime Security Centre - Horn of Africa (MSCHOA), EU NAVFOR (European Union Naval Force), the UK Marine Trade Operations (UKMTO) and various Shipping Industry Associations, have authorized the boarding of armed security personnel, either provided by Government sponsored Armed Forces or by Private Maritime Security Companies, in order to guarantee the physical protection of merchant marine vessels during the passage of the Gulf of Aden, the Somali basin and parts of the Indian Ocean.
Piracy activities are not limited to mentioned areas as similar events are continuously reported by merchant vessels also in other parts of the World, such as the Gulf of Guinea, the Strait of Malacca area and the South China Sea in Asia and in some areas in the Caribbean Sea and the confining South American waters.
S.C.A. Shipping Consultants Associated Ltd is able to provide shore- and sea-side -"last mile"- logistic assistance to VPD Teams Government sponsored Armed Forces and Private Maritime Security Companies, and to coordinate, the carriage & storage of weapons, ammunitions and military special equipment, but under the whole control of the local armed forces/authorities.
Sevices provided by SCA Shipping Consultants Associated Ltd are, but not limited to, the following:
- Immigration clearances for entering and exiting national territory;
- Security clearances in/at port/airport, where required;
- Customs clearances for weapons, ammunitions and military special equipment entering and exiting National territory/port/airport;
- Liaison with and introduction to military and government officials;
- Transportation to and from vessels underway by helicopter, launch or boat;
- Coordination with Local Authorities and Military Authorities in order to ensure safe transportation from Vessel RDV point to landing site and v.v.;
- Meeting and coordination with VPD Teams at landing site;
- Conveyance of military, governmental or law enforcement personnel as required escorts for the transfer and storage of weapons, ammunitions and special equipment;
- Execution of administrative procedures, as required, for the transfer and storage of weapons, ammunitions and special equipment but under the whole control of the local armed forces/authorities;
- Transportation and conveyance to and from airports, ports and accommodations;
- Reservation of accommodations;
- Reservation and management of rental vehicles;
- Coordination of medical services.
Currently, SCA Shipping Consultants Associated Ltd, is providing Support to Italian Navy VPD Teams deployed in the gulf of Aden, the Somali Basin and parts of the Indian Ocean.